Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snips and snails and puppy dog nails


If there is anything else preoccupying me right now its trimming dog nails. This may be the bane of my existence at the moment. Maybe not every dog, maybe not every nail, but the problem is that DJ does not like it. He's quite adamant about his distaste for the whole procedure.

Thus far its been accomplished by wrangling and 2 to 3 people administering treats, restraining and cutting.

No more. The line was drawn in the sand that we cannot continue on that path anymore, for one thing, no one wants to do it so the nails grow and grow and grow. Two weeks after one ordeal its as though it never happened, just long nails as far as the eye can see.

I have made halfhearted attempts at desensitizing him to it. But gave up, because I am lazy and a Bad Dog Person and it seemed that every attempt was like trying to empty the ocean with a thimble.

Now it is just time to get started. I have my thimble and I'm ready to go. Its what must be done. Our goal: touching one nail with the nail cutting device.

No comments:

Post a Comment